HP LaserJet 2840 Scanner Error 5

CUSTOMER-

I just started to get the Scanner error code 5 on my HP All-In-One Color LaserJet 2840. It says to "turn off then turn on" but I have done that numerous times and when it starts up the scanner light warms up(it sits to the right side of the glass and does light up) but then, one hears a clicking or grating sound, the scanner light does not move and then the same error code appears. I can receive faxes, print in black and white in color but I can't scan, copy or send faxes as the unit will not scan due to this error code. How do I fix it?

Dimmusacio-


Does the error show on the printer or computer?


CUSTOMER-

I didn't open the computer's data info window for this machine but it shows up on the printer window and despite numerous off-on cycles it still reverts to this error message. I can get this all-in-one unit to print in color or black and white and I can receive faxes and print them out when they are sent to my machine. It is the scanner function that is inoperable and this prevents any copier function, scanner function to the computer and I can't send faxes as it doesn't scan the data to allow a fax to be sent. It is clearly in the HP 2840 and I did look on the internet and there are numerous articles and U-Tube videos on this problem but I didn't find a solution so I contacted your company to see if you had a remedy.

Dimmusacio-

Remove the right side panel (when facing the machine) by removing two screws from the bottom. There is a small white port with cables that can be removed and then reinserted. Disconnect that cable and then connect it again.